[PVE-User] Point my backup to ISCSI Volume

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Mon Jan 30 10:44:38 CET 2017

On 01/29/2017 08:45 PM, Leonardo Dourado wrote:
> Hi gents!
>
> I have configured my NAS and created a LUN to point my backups, I added it on PVE (it recognized correctly)... Occurs that when I go to Backup\Storage (on web interface) and try to point to the LUN (named as ITRCNAS1) unit it does not appear...
>
> If I point to the mounted directory on console it works: /mnt/storage.
>
> Is there a way to use the LUN directly? I'm not sure if I can mount a LUN volume on fstab...
>
> LUN is already partitioned and formatted as ext4, it's my /dev/sdb1 device.

You cannot use your LUN directly as it's a block device, and you need a
file system to put the backupfiles.

So you have two choice:

A) * create a fstab entry for /dev/sdb1 pointing to /mnt/my_mount, mount it
  * add a directory mount point in PVE for /my_mount ( in gui, add
storage -> directory)

B) Create an NFS export from your SAN to PVE. As NFS is file based, you
will be abled to use the storage directly to put your backups.

I advise you B. Iscsi is fine, but to store backup files is not its
optimum use case here.