[PVE-User] Can't mount external USB drive to container

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Fri Nov 10 07:11:26 CET 2017

Hi,

On 11/09/2017 06:36 PM, Chase, Brian E wrote:
> I was able to use the GUI to add a USB device and subsequently mount it on a guest QEMU Virtual Machine, but those same options are not present in the web UI for containers, so I found some related documentation here:
>
> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/USB_Devices_in_Virtual_Machines
>
> I followed instructions, substituting the container number and the desired USB device found with the 'lsusb' command, and get this error:
>
> root at pve:~# qm set 103 -usb0 host=0bc2:3322
> Configuration file 'nodes/pve/qemu-server/103.conf' does not exist
> root at pve:~#

qm is the CLI management tool for Qemu VMs (*q*emu *m*anager, AFAIK),
so you cannot manage container with them.

> I noticed that it was looking at a directory that caught my attention, the "qemu-server" portion of the pathname above set off a red flag, and made me believe that perhaps ONLY full blown QEMU virtual machines are supported when it comes to attaching USB devices.

Yes, from our management stack only VMs have USB support.

> Is there anyone out there who can tell me definitely whether or not containers support the connection of external USB storage devices?  If so, can you point me to documentation that works in order to make this container/USB device connections?

Our container are based on LXC (LinuX Containers) thus it's best
to use LXC within the search term when looking for resources.

In general it's possible to "passthrough" USB devices to containers,
but as it's not supported by our management stack you need to do it
with the LXC level config options.

See:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/lxc-usb-passthrough-zwave-stick.30058/

Maybe also: