[PVE-User] ulimits

Wolfgang Bumiller w.bumiller at proxmox.com
Thu Apr 5 08:55:42 CEST 2018

> On April 3, 2018 at 12:17 PM Daniel <daniel at linux-nerd.de> wrote:
>

> Hi there,
>

> can someone give me a hint where and who to increase ulimits?
>
> I cant find the correct and working solution for it ☹

If you mean for containers, you can add `lxc.prlimit.*` entries to
the container's /etc/pve/lxc/$vmid.conf file. This is currently not
exposed via the GUI or pve-specific keys (yet).
Eg. in /etc/pve/lxc/401.conf you could add:
lxc.prlimit.nofile: 1337

The resource name is just a lower case version of what you see
when running `prlimit`.
Note that this only makes sense for unprivileged containers, as
privileged containers (unless the capability gets dropped in the
config) can usually override those limits anyway.

If you meant something else, the usual debian/systemd/... ways apply
(eg /etc/security/limits.conf and LimitNOFILE etc. in systemd service
files (see systemd.exec)...)