[PVE-User] ZFS: Limited usages ?

Petric Frank pfrank at gmx.de
Fri Apr 27 23:30:09 CEST 2018

Hello,

Am Freitag, 27. April 2018, 12:28:46 CEST schrieb Fabian Grünbichler:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 11:54:55AM +0200, Petric Frank wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > running PVE GUI 5.1-51
> >
> > I've mounted a ZFS storage (Datacenter -> Storage).
> >
> > Is there a reason why the GUI allows to select Disk Image and Container
> > only ?
> >
> > No Backup, ...
> >
> > In my means ZFS is a file system like for example ext4.
>
> you can create a dataset ("zfs create ...") and then configure it as
> directory storage with appropriate content types if you want to backup
> to a ZFS dataset.

The mounted ZFS volumes are datasets. Created by zfs create <Pool>/<Dataset>.
The current type is filesystem.

I'm not an expert in ZFS - how to set a content type on a dataset ?

So the question remains - as these are (ZFS) filesystems, why to Backups are
allowed to store ?

One part of storage.cfg besides other (zfs) entries:
----------- cut ------------
    zfspool: zfs
        pool Pool/vz
        content rootdir,images
        sparse 0

The GUI does not list other than the above two content types. Could that be a
bug in the GUI ?

> but please be aware that backing up to a different storage/system than
> the backup source is strongly recommended for production use.

Sure. There are diffent pools.

regards