[PVE-User] How to use lvm on zfs ?

Denis Morejon denis.morejon at etecsa.cu
Wed Aug 8 15:23:16 CEST 2018

El 07/08/18 a las 17:51, Yannis Milios escribió:
>>   (zfs create -V 100G rpool/lvm) and make that a PV (pvcreate
>>>
> Try the above as it was suggested to you ...
>

>>> But I suspect I have no space to create an
>>
> No, that's a wrong assumption, zfs does not pre-allocate the whole space of
> the pool, even if looks like it does so. In short there is no need to
> "shrink" the pool in order to create a zvol as it was suggested above...
> Still, the whole idea of having LVM ontop of ZFS/zvol is a mess, but if you
> insist, it's up to you ...
> A combination of Linux RAID + LVM would look much more elegant in your
> case, but for that you have to reinstall PVE by using the Debian iso.
> During the installation create a linux raid array with lvm on top and then
> add PVE repos ass described in the wiki:
>
> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie
That's right. Now I understand that lvm/zfs would be a mess. Mainly because
zfs doesn't create a block devices such as partitions on which I could
do pvcreate ...
and make It part of a lvm volumen group.

After a (zfs create -V 100G rpool/lvm) a have to do a losetup to create
a loop device an so on...

Instead, I will keep zfs Raid mounted on "/" (local storage) on the last
4 Proxmox, remove the local-lvm storage from all Proxmox, and resize the
local storage of the first 4 Proxmox . In such a way that all the 8
Proxmox have just local storage making the migration of VMs between
nodes easy.