[PVE-User] How to use lvm on zfs ?

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Wed Aug 8 14:40:38 CEST 2018

Am 08.08.2018 um 15:32 schrieb Denis Morejon:
> Why does Proxmox team have not incorporated a software Raid in the
> install process ? So that we could include redundancy and lvm
> advantages when using local disks.
Because ZFS offers redundancy and LVM features (and much more) in a more
modern way, e.g. during a rebuild only used blocks need to be
resilvered, resulting in much greater speed. ZFS is intended to entirely
replace MD-RAID and LVM.

Only drawback of ZFS is that it needs bare metal disk access and must
not (or at least should not) be used with hardware RAID controllers.
This makes it difficult to use with older hardware, e.g. HP ProLiants
which only have HP SmartArray controllers as disk controllers. It is
possible to put some RAID controllers in HBA mode, though ZFS docs
advise against it.

Andreas