[PVE-User] Proxmox and DRBD

Fri Aug 17 22:22:30 CEST 2018

Hi!

Reading the archives I learnt that Proxmox removed DRBD as the
consequence of license issues (which were reverted). As far as is know
this was about DRBD9 and older Proxmox releases had support for DRBD8.

Checking the Proxmox sources (storage modules) it seems that there is
still some code for DRBD left, but apperently not used.

IMO it is a real pitty that DRBD is not supported anymore. There are
several use case where DRBD is a perfect and cost efficient solution
avoiding additional external storages. Debian 9 comes with DRBD8 out of
the - so why not use it (without needed any additonal software from Linbit)?

Is there any technical reason why DRBD(8) is not supported anymore?

Is it possible to activate and use the leftover DRBD code in Proxmox?

If not, I think the simple "manual" solution would be a DRBD-backed LVM
storage in active-active mode. Any experiences with such a setup (except
that it is not nice to have a single DRBD ressource for all VMs instead
of one DRBD ressource per virtual disk)?

Thanks
Klaus