[PVE-User] DHCP for non cloudinit VM

José Manuel Giner jm at ginernet.com
Tue Aug 21 08:18:14 CEST 2018

It's not that simple when IP allocation depends on the VM MAC addres, if
you have a few VMs it may not be a problem, but hosting companies that
handle thousands of VMs do not want to assign any random IP to a VPS and
would be better to have a native integration, at least at the API level.

On 21/08/2018 1:21, Mark Adams wrote:
> Just install your own DHCP server on proxmox if you want. I don't see this
> as a feature many people would want, as in any "normal" network you always
> have a dhcp server already?
>
> On 20 August 2018 at 15:35, José Manuel Giner <jm at ginernet.com> wrote:
>
>> I thought cloud-init was connecting against a DHCP server.
>>
>> Does Proxmox have any plan to provide a DHCP service so that VMs can
>> receive IP auto-configuration, whether they use cloud-init or not?
>>

>> On 20/08/2018 16:28, Dominik Csapak wrote:
>>
>>> but that cannot happen without an agent/cloud init like program in the
>>> vm, so what and why (if we have cloud-init) should we implement there?

>> --
>> José Manuel Giner
>> http://ginernet.com

José Manuel Giner