[PVE-User] PVE kernel (sources, build process, etc.)

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Wed Aug 22 09:55:10 CEST 2018

Hi Uwe,

On 8/22/18 9:48 AM, Uwe Sauter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> some quick questions:
>
> * As far as I can tell the PVE kernel is a modified version of Ubuntu kernels, correct?
>   Modifications can be viewed in the pve-kernel.git repository ( https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-kernel.git;a=tree ).

Yes, in the respective git branch (master is currently 4.13 and pve-kernel-4.15 is, you guess it, 4.15
patches/ includes on-top bug/security fixes also some out of tree modules get included (ZFS, igb, e1000e)

> * pve-kernel 4.13 is based on http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git/ubuntu/ubuntu-artful.git/ ?

Yes. (Note that this may not get much updates anymore)

> * pve-kernel 4.15 is based on http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git/ubuntu/ubuntu-bionic.git/ ?

Yes. We're normally on the latest stable release tagged on the master branch.

cheers,
Thomas