[PVE-User] PVE kernel (sources, build process, etc.)

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 11:45:15 CEST 2018

Hi Marcus,

no, I haven't disabled Spectre/Meltdown mitigations (yet).

For 4 of my hosts I have the Intel microcode from 2018-05-08 running which is the most up-to-date version from Ubuntu.

Using the spectre-meltdown-checker.sh script from https://github.com/speed47/spectre-meltdown-checker gives below output which
let's me believe that performace should be goot with mitigations enabled.

#### output for sandybridge based hosts ####
CVE-2017-5753 [bounds check bypass] aka 'Spectre Variant 1'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization)
* Kernel has array_index_mask_nospec:  YES  (1 occurrence(s) found of x86 64 bits array_index_mask_nospec())
* Kernel has the Red Hat/Ubuntu patch:  NO
* Kernel has mask_nospec64 (arm64):  NO
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization)

CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection] aka 'Spectre Variant 2'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB, IBRS_FW)
* Mitigation 1
  * Kernel is compiled with IBRS support:  YES
    * IBRS enabled and active:  YES  (for kernel and firmware code)
  * Kernel is compiled with IBPB support:  YES
    * IBPB enabled and active:  YES
* Mitigation 2
  * Kernel has branch predictor hardening (arm):  NO
  * Kernel compiled with retpoline option:  YES
    * Kernel compiled with a retpoline-aware compiler:  YES  (kernel reports full retpoline compilation)
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Full retpoline + IBPB are mitigating the vulnerability)

CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load] aka 'Meltdown' aka 'Variant 3'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: PTI)
* Kernel supports Page Table Isolation (PTI):  YES
  * PTI enabled and active:  YES
  * Reduced performance impact of PTI:  YES  (CPU supports PCID, performance impact of PTI will be reduced)
* Running as a Xen PV DomU:  NO
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: PTI)

CVE-2018-3640 [rogue system register read] aka 'Variant 3a'
* CPU microcode mitigates the vulnerability:  YES
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (your CPU microcode mitigates the vulnerability)

CVE-2018-3639 [speculative store bypass] aka 'Variant 4'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp)
* Kernel supports speculation store bypass:  YES  (found in /proc/self/status)
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp)

CVE-2018-3615/3620/3646 [L1 terminal fault] aka 'Foreshadow & Foreshadow-NG'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable)
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable)

##### end #####

The other 2 hosts are base on Westmere architecture and won't get microcode updates as fas as I know. Disabling mitigations on
these hosts might be worth a try. Same script from above gives:

#### output of westmere based hosts ####
CVE-2017-5753 [bounds check bypass] aka 'Spectre Variant 1'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization)
* Kernel has array_index_mask_nospec:  YES  (1 occurrence(s) found of x86 64 bits array_index_mask_nospec())
* Kernel has the Red Hat/Ubuntu patch:  NO
* Kernel has mask_nospec64 (arm64):  NO
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization)

CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection] aka 'Spectre Variant 2'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: Full generic retpoline)
* Mitigation 1
  * Kernel is compiled with IBRS support:  YES
    * IBRS enabled and active:  NO
  * Kernel is compiled with IBPB support:  YES
    * IBPB enabled and active:  NO
* Mitigation 2
  * Kernel has branch predictor hardening (arm):  NO
  * Kernel compiled with retpoline option:  YES
    * Kernel compiled with a retpoline-aware compiler:  YES  (kernel reports full retpoline compilation)
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Full retpoline is mitigating the vulnerability)
IBPB is considered as a good addition to retpoline for Variant 2 mitigation, but your CPU microcode doesn't support it

CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load] aka 'Meltdown' aka 'Variant 3'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: PTI)
* Kernel supports Page Table Isolation (PTI):  YES
  * PTI enabled and active:  YES
  * Reduced performance impact of PTI:  YES  (CPU supports PCID, performance impact of PTI will be reduced)
* Running as a Xen PV DomU:  NO
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: PTI)

CVE-2018-3640 [rogue system register read] aka 'Variant 3a'
* CPU microcode mitigates the vulnerability:  NO
> STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (an up-to-date CPU microcode is needed to mitigate this vulnerability)

CVE-2018-3639 [speculative store bypass] aka 'Variant 4'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  NO  (Vulnerable)
* Kernel supports speculation store bypass:  YES  (found in /proc/self/status)
> STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (Your CPU doesn't support SSBD)

CVE-2018-3615/3620/3646 [L1 terminal fault] aka 'Foreshadow & Foreshadow-NG'
* Mitigated according to the /sys interface:  YES  (Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT disabled)
> STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (Mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT disabled)