[PVE-User] Confusing about Bond 802.3ad

mj lists at merit.unu.edu
Fri Aug 24 12:52:10 CEST 2018

Hi,

Yes, it is our undertanding that if the hardware (switch) supports it,
"bond-xmit-hash-policy layer3+4" gives you best spread.

But it will still give you 4 'lanes' of 1GB. Ceph will connect using
different ports, ip's etc, en each connection should use a different
lane, so altogether, you should see a network throughput that
(theoretically) could be as high as 4GB.

That is how we understand it.

You can also try something on the switch, like we did on our ProCurve:

>  Procurve chassis(config)# show trunk
>
> Load Balancing Method:  L3-based (default)
>
>  Port | Name                             Type      | Group  Type
>  D1   | Link to prn004 - 1               10GbE-T   | Trk1   LACP
>  D2   | Link to prn004 - 2               10GbE-T   | Trk1   LACP
>  D3   | Link to prn005 - 1               10GbE-T   | Trk2   LACP
>  D4   | Link to prn005 - 2               10GbE-T   | Trk2   LACP

Namely: change the load balancing method to:

> Procurve chassis(config)# trunk-load-balance L4

So the load balance is now based on Layer4 instead of L3.

Besides these details, I think what you are doing should work nicely.

MJ