[PVE-User] windows 2008 enterprise with uefi

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Aug 28 11:42:28 CEST 2018

PVE 5.2 contains a newer version of OVMF (our used EFI implementation) with
a lot of fixes, updating could help - but is certainly no guarantee -
especially as your windows is already in the process of booting.

On 8/28/18 11:20 AM, lists wrote:
> If, during windows iso boot, I press F8 for advanced options, and I select safe mode, I can the last line displayed is:
>
> Loaded: \windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
>
> Then progress stops.
>
> I changed the VM disk config from IDE to SCSI, to see if that made a difference. But alas, no further progress... :-(

Hmm, maybe try SCSI but set the scsihw (SCSI Controller in the VM's Option Tab)
to LSI 53C895A? Or SATA, Windows is often a bit picky about this stuff...

> On 28-8-2018 10:59, lists wrote:
>> Here is the VM config:
>>
>>> balloon: 0
>>> bios: ovmf
>>> boot: dcn
>>> bootdisk: ide0
>>> cores: 2
>>> efidisk0: local-btrfs:107/vm-107-disk-2.qcow2,size=128K
>>> ide0: local-btrfs:107/vm-107-disk-1.qcow2,size=233G
>>> ide2: local-btrfs:iso/win2008_enterprise_x64.iso,media=cdrom
>>> memory: 8192
>>> name: win8-uefi
>>> net0: e1000=BA:7F:7B:91:9B:1C,bridge=vmbr0
>>> numa: 0
>>> ostype: win8
>>> scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
>>> smbios1: uuid=626ef0a6-0161-492f-80b7-fbc437c4cdb2
>>> sockets: 2

You had a 2 socket with 2 cores each system on the bare metal setup?
If not, please use 4 cores, suddenly having a NUMA system could also be
a problem for windows.

cheers,
Thomas