[PVE-User] PVE 5.1 - Intel <-> AMD migration crash with Debian 9

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Tue Feb 6 12:07:12 CET 2018

Hi all,

El 02/02/18 a las 13:21, Eneko Lacunza escribió:

>>> Eneko Lacunza <elacunza at binovo.es> hat am 2. Februar 2018 um 10:14
>>> geschrieben:
>>> proxmox-ve: 5.1-35 (running kernel: 4.13.13-4-pve)
>> This kernel produced a lot of crashes (especially on windows), even
>> without any migrations.
>>
>> Please retest with latest kernel.
> Just updated the cluster:
> # pveversion -v
> proxmox-ve: 5.1-38 (running kernel: 4.13.13-5-pve)
[...]
> The reported VM has migrated well for now, but I have seen a similar
> crash with another two Debian 9 VMs this time. Other VMs and
> SO/distros continue to work well, maybe there's a problem in guest
> kernel. I continue to get crashes after Intel<>AMD migrations,
> Intel<->Intel migrations work without issue (done ten's of them during
> cluster upgrade).

Seems that only Debian 9 VMs with more than 1 cores are affected by this
problem. All 3 VMs had 2 or 4 cores. I changed the original reported VM
to 1 core, and seems not to crash now. NUMA is not enabled.

I tried with previous Debian kernel (VMs are running now 4.9.0-5-amd64,
previous is 4.9.0-4-amd64); and it crashes too.

I tried with a Ubuntu 14.04.02 LTS with 2 cores, but I'm unable to
reproduce the problem. Windows VMs also really seem unaffected.

Shall I report this to Debian kernel team?

Thanks a lot
Eneko

--
Zuzendari Teknikoa / Director Técnico