[PVE-User] Move root ZFS to another machine

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Tue Feb 6 13:50:56 CET 2018

Hello,

I need to temporarily move my proxmox server to another machine. It has
two SATA HDDs and two NVMe SSDs, each configured as a ZFS pool on raid
1. On the old machine, the HDDs were addressed as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
The new machine is an older HP server where the disks show up as
/dev/cciss/c0d0 and /dev/cciss/c0d1 instead. This is a hardware RAID
controller, but disks are not configured as RAID.

Somehow ZFS doesn't like that. I read that it should be possible to move
the disks, possibly having to import the pool manually. But I can't get
that to work. The server starts grub, which loads the kernel and the
initrd, but then I am dropped to an initrd shell because zpool import
failed.

'zpool status' shows no pools. 'zpool import' shows the pool from the
two ssds ready to be imported. 'zpool import -d /dev/cciss' or 'zpool
import -D' show nothing.

I am fairly new to ZFS, I was used to the convenience of mdadm RAIDs,
which will find its disk by superblock and UUID almost every time. Can
you give me a hint what to do?

I will have to repeat that procedure again next week, where the disks
will be plain SATA again. If this is going to be difficult, I will have
to rethink my strategy.

Thanks,
Andreas