[PVE-User] Performance degradation after kernel update

Gilberto Nunes gilberto.nunes32 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 15:17:22 CET 2018

Hi

I know that we expect some degration after kernel update, due Spectre and
Meltdown bug.
I just wanna confirme that, with data that I have collect here in my lab
system.
I have an Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5700 @ 3.00 GHz.
I know... It's a ancient machine! Right! ( as I mentioned is a lab sys)
I use SATA HD to host the VM... Not recommended I also know that.
So, I use pveperf and what other options about it:

- With kernel 4.13.13-4-pve:
CPU BOGOMIPS: 12069.96
REGEX/SECOND: 1098494
BUFFERED READS: 82.30 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 15.41 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 44.95

- With kernel 4.13.13-3-pve:
CPU BOGOMIPS: 12070.84
REGEX/SECOND: 1252864
BUFFERED READS: 28.31 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 46.43 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 19.14

I do the pve-perf while two KVM machines are on... One with Ubuntu and
other with Windows 2008 R2.

I have note that VM runs better with kernel 4.13.13-3-pve than kernel
4.13.13-4-pve.

Somebody has any others thoughts about this issues? Just to know...

---
Gilberto Ferreira

(47) 3025-5907
(47) 99676-7530