[PVE-User] How to fence w/o iTCO_wdt watchdog (AMD platform)

Frank Thommen frank.thommen at uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Mar 18 19:16:15 CET 2018

Hello,

I'm thinking about setting up a HA PVE Cluster.  However
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/High_Availability suggests to use the
iTCO_wdt hardware watchdog.  As far as I understand, this watchdog is
only available on the Intel platform.  Our servers would be AMD servers
and I cannot find the /dev/watchdog device on these hosts (currently
running openSuSE 13.2).

What other fencing methods can be used if no iTCO_wdt watchdog is
available?  All documentation referring to other fencing methods (iDRAC,
iLO, IPMI ecc.) explicitely refers to old PVE versions.  Can this
documentation still be used or is there other documentation that I
haven't found so far?

Cheers
frank