[PVE-User] Request New Features for Web-UI

Lutz Willek lutz.willek at belug.de
Tue Mar 20 22:27:09 CET 2018

Hi,

Am 20.03.2018 um 10:16 schrieb Thomas Lamprecht:
> Hi,
>
> On 3/19/18 5:00 PM, Toan Pham wrote:
>> Hi, I am very new to proxmox and I have a few questions/suggestions:

welcome!

>> 1.  [...]   Since I have
>> node that's always powered off, but can be powered on from wake-on-lan
>> network packet.  It would be really nice to have a wake-on-lan feature
>> integrated to the web-UI.
>>

> Completely custom commands cannot be added for now.
> Custom as in "user presses button and some arbitrary script runs on node",
> has just to much security implications and hides to much for the user
> what happens when the button is pressed, especially in multi-admin
> environments.
>
> As a workaround I'd add a small script which merely does:
>
> wakeonlan MAC
>
> on a node which is always on and execute it through the webinterfaces node
> shell when needed. Not to nice but gives you what you want.
>
> That said, just adding a "wakeonlan" feature per node (where the MAC address
> used is default the one we configured vmbr0 too, and can be manually set)
> sounds like a more possible feature.
> No promises yet, but can you open a feature request at
> https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/ so that we can track it?

We are also using a very simple script to wake on lan another
backup-server via MAC adress connected to bridge vmbr10, then mounting a
nfs volume after the server is up, and then doing the backup of the
virtual machines via "rsnapshot" software. After the backup is finished,
the server will be shut down via ssh and key. Maybe this code/config
snippets helpes you to create your own script:

> root at pm3:~# cat /usr/local/sbin/rsnapshot-helper
> #!/bin/bash
> #set -x
>
> backupsrv=192.168.xxx.xxx
> quelle=$backupsrv:/daten/lv1
> ziel="/rsnapshot"
> optionen="-o vers=3"
>

> case $1 in
>   pre)
>     grep " $ziel " /proc/mounts &>/dev/null ; if [[ $? -ne 0 ]]; then
>       if  ping $backupsrv -c1 &>/dev/null ; then
>         mount $optionen $quelle $ziel
>       else
>         /usr/sbin/etherwake -b 0f:de:ad:be:af:0f -i vmbr10
>         sleep 120
>         mount $quelle $ziel
>       fi
>     fi
>     ;;
>   post)
>     umount -lf $ziel 2>&1 |grep -v ': not mounted'
>     sleep 5
>     ssh -l root $backupsrv 'echo systemctl poweroff | at now + 2 minute' &>/dev/null
>     ;;
>   *)
>     echo "usage: $(basename $0) [pre|post]"
>     echo ""
>     echo "options:"
>     echo "  pre:        poweron backupserver, mount backup share"
>     echo "  post:       ummount backup share, then poweroff backupserver"
>     ;;
> esac

This is our rsnapshot configuration to backup the VM's:

> root at pm3:~# grep -B1 -A6 SCRIPTS /etc/rsnapshot.conf
> ### BACKUP POINTS / SCRIPTS ###
>
> # VMs
> backup_script   /bin/date "+ backup of virtual machines started at %c"  .tmp/unused1
> backup_script   /usr/bin/vzdump --mode snapshot --dumpdir /rsnapshot/vmbackup/dump --compress lzo --mailnotification failure --mailto removed at belug.de --maxfiles 15 --remove 1 --all 1 --quiet 1 .tmp/unused2
> backup_script   /bin/date "+ backup of virtual machines ended at %c"    .tmp/unused3

have fun, good luck!

Lutz