[PVE-User] Custom storage in ProxMox 5

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Fri Mar 30 11:40:16 CEST 2018

Hi,

>>Ceph has rather larger overheads

Agree. they are overhead, but performance increase with each release.
I think the biggest problem is that you can reach more than 70-90k iops with 1 vm disk currently.
and maybe latency could be improve too.

>>much bigger PITA to admin
don't agree. I'm running 5 ceph cluster (around 200TB ssd). almost 0 maintenance.

>>does not perform as well on whitebox hardware
define whitebox hardware ?
the only thing is to no use consumer ssd (because they sucks with direct io)

>>an Ceph run multiple replication and ec levels for different files on the same volume?
you can manage it by pool. (as block storage).
>> Near instantaneous spanshots
yes

>>and restores

a lit bit slower to rollback

>>at any level of the filesystem you choose?

why are you talking about filesystem ? Are you mounting lizard inside your vm? or for hosting vm disk ?

>>Run on commodity hardware with trivial adding of disks as required?
yes