[PVE-User] Cluster network via directly connected interfaces?

Ronny Aasen ronny+pve-user at aasen.cx
Fri Nov 23 12:00:18 CET 2018

Personally if i was to try and experiment with something non-default I
would try to use ospf+bfd either with bird or quagga.

-you get quick failovers due to bfd.
-you can equal cost multipath links to utillize multiple ports between
servers.
-All links are active, so you do not have a "passive" link, as you have
with STP
-and there is no needless duplication of data, so you do not get the 50%
bandwith loss of a broadcast bond.
-you need to use corosync with targeted udp towards spesific loopback
addresses.
-traffic goes shortest path. so allways towards the correct server.
- you can very easily expand beyond 3 nodes if you have enough ports. Or
move the ospf domain onto a switch if needed. this also easily converts
to a multiple switch config to maintain HA and no SPOF

Happy experimentation!

mvh
Ronny Aasen