[PVE-User] Local interface on Promox server

Adnan RIHAN axel50397 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 03:39:23 CET 2018

Yannis Milios yannis.milios at gmail.com wrote:
> Is it really that difficult to get a laptop in the server room to manage
> the servers?

Well… You would be surprised ;)

It’s not « THAT » complicated, except that currently we are in a
country in crisis and buying a laptop only for that is currently
overkill. We had a tech machine there, but had to use it for a point
of sale.

> Personally I would avoid installing a full Desktop environment on the PVE
> hosts

No choice. If it’s discouraged, then I won’t insist.

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com wrote:
> You could use
>
> qm terminal <ID>
>
> to connect to the serial console

I’m not really looking for connecting a serial console, but would have
liked an access to the desktop manager of a VM, as if it was possible
to redirect the keyboard/video/mouse of my KVM console to an actual
VM.

As Yannis said, it seems to overcomplicate things. Then we will wait a
budget to buy a mini-pc and install it with the desktop we want.

BTW, I take advantage of the discussion about the serial port. In
Congo it’s hard to find an original serial-to-usb cable to plug our
PBX to one of our VMs. Prolific made an update and all our cables are
not working anymore. This was the only way to easily plug our RS232
PBX to a VM.

While waiting to find an original converter, is there a way to
redirect a serial port (/dev/ttyS0) to a Windows VM, creating a COM
port connected to the linux serial port?

--
Regards, Adnan RIHAN

GPG: 5675-62BA (https://keybase.io/max13/key.asc)
⇒ If you are not using GPG/PGP but want to send me an encrypted
e-mail: https://encrypt.to/0x567562BA.