[PVE-User] PVE Cluster and iSCSI

Stefan M. Radman smr at kmi.com
Wed Nov 28 22:09:38 CET 2018

I am running a 3  node PVE cluster connected to shared storage with LVM.
Two of the nodes are connected via 2x4GFC (direct-attach) and one via 2x1GbE iSCSI (switched).

The only issue I experienced in the past was a failure to activate LVM volumes after a reboot on the iSCSI node.

root at node03:~# systemctl --failed
  UNIT                        LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● lvm2-activation-net.service loaded failed failed Activation of LVM2 logical volumes

It seems that the problem was caused by some delay in the iSCSI initialization that prevented activation of the logical volumes.
After a node reboot I would have to go in and restart the service manually.

Haven't seen this after the last update, so it might be gone.

root at node03:~# pveversion
pve-manager/5.2-12/ba196e4b (running kernel: 4.15.18-9-pve)

Other than that: no problems

Just make sure your iSCSI SAN is well designed (flow control, jumbo frames, isolation, multi pathing, ...)

Stefan