[PVE-User] Slow live migration in Proxmox 5

Kai Zimmer zimmer at bbaw.de
Tue Oct 9 13:52:40 CEST 2018

Hi Sten,

not exactly your problem, but maybe related: after upgrading from PVE
4.2 to PVE 5.1.2 i see unresponsive/unreachable VMs during high disk i/o.
What i tried so far is :
- disabling  the Spectre/Meltdown patches which steal some performance
(up to 20%) via kernel parameters.
- adding 'nobarrier'-parameter on PVE host ext4 partitions (because i
use qcow2 disk images)
Both didn't fix it.
Now i'm about to update LSI Controller Firmware and drivers, because we
see a similar problem after a Kernel upgrade from 4.x to 5.x on a
non-Proxmox machine.

So maybe it's not the network but a disk speed problem in your case also?

Best,
Kai