[PVE-User] Overwhelming Migration to EC2

John C. Reid john at shasta.com
Mon Feb 18 21:23:42 CET 2019

I have been using ProxMox to host our VMs for a couple of years now and
I really like it. Unfortunately the last couple weeks have been an eye
opener. We had a fire earlier this month and last week a storm caused
power to be down for several days. Because of this we discovered that
our Generator is shot as it was cycling between 56Hz and 64Hz causing
surges of power. It killed my primary AC, a few managed switches, and a
few other pieces of equipment. The crux of this being that management
has made the decision that I need to migrate everything to Amazon AWS.

The vast majority of my VMs cannot be simply rebuilt in EC2. I need to
be able to migrate them over using an export/import. It seems that
Amazon has the ability to import from OVA, VMDK, VHD, and RAW but
imports from RAW into EC2 fail if coming from KVM because of the kernel.
It also seems that KVM has been left out in the cold when it comes to
its existence being recognized by Amazon. I have found that anytime
Amazon documentation fails to specifically say what hypervisor the
export/import documentation is for, it is assumed to be VMWare. In
short, it appears that I am going to have to use "qemu-img convert" to
convert my VMs to VMWare  prior to attempting to import them.

My ProxMox server is currently hosting 16 VM, all of the KVM/QEMU type,
stored as RAW on Stripped Mirrored vDev ZPools (I have two separate
pools attached as Primary Storage and Secondary Storage and the VMs are
roughly split between them.) The OS itself is on a pair of mirrored SSDs
in a hardware RAID 1. It has been running a dream, but as I said, I have
to figure out how to get my VMs off of it and into EC2 instances.

Does anybody have experience doing this? It is all a bit overwhelming. I
could really use some help with a viable roadmap from somebody that has
done this. At the same time I am trying to figure this out I am also
doing several Hyper-V VMs, some physical machines, designing the VPC,
and possibly moving a /24 of IP space to an IP pool in AWS. On that last
one I am really scratching my head. I can't advertise the IPs here and
at Amazon at the same time, the /24 is a subset in the middle of a /20
we own and advertise via BGP. Also the /24 I would be moving is in use
by all of the servers (they want to migrate each IP with the server
currently using it.) If all of that is not enough. It is just me -- I am
the IT department. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

<http://Shasta.com>

*John C. Reid * / Network Administrator
John at Shasta.com <mailto:John at Shasta.com> / (530) 224-6866 833 Mistletoe
Lane Ste A-1, Redding, CA 96002