[PVE-User] Shared storage recommendations

Frederic Van Espen frederic.ve at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 09:57:23 CET 2019

Hi,

> We are using NFS shared storage with a ZFS base (using FreeNAS) since many years now with a record "0" problem!
>
> Our architecture is both basic in terms of design and quite sophisticated when It comes to network stack.
> Basically all nodes have a shared storage on a dedicated /24 subnet that's only used for the cluster
>
> We are using OpenVSwitch and bonding at this level
> All other operational subnets are put on top of that and clearly separated.
>
> This was highlighted here : https://www.osnet.eu/fr/content/tutoriels/mise-en-place-dun-cluster-proxmox-4-avec-nfs-sous-freenas
> In french (but schema is easy to figure out).

How many proxmox nodes are you using in that setup? and how many storage nodes?

> ToDay, I would probably invest in more NVMe based infra if I had the opportunity.
> Ceph is known to work well also, scope is different though.

Ceph looks really interesting as far as I can tell. I did a small POC
with a few vm's and it seems to work well. It seems to scale really
well. We can also easily monitor it with prometheus.

We also requested an offer for a Dell Compellent iSCSI setup. Anyone
has any experience with these? What's your (horror-)story?