[PVE-User] Ubuntu 14.04 boot fail on PVE 5.3-7

Wolfgang Bumiller w.bumiller at proxmox.com
Wed Jan 16 11:12:42 CET 2019

> On January 15, 2019 at 6:50 AM Michał Szamocki <mszamocki at cirrus.pl> wrote:
>

> Hello,
>
> since weekend I have problems with LXC containers (upstart based) booting on Proxmox 5.3-7. Today I have created new container and after starting it only few upstart processes are running:

With a *privileged* 14.04 container I can reproduce this. A bisect revealed
an lxc commit which causes no functional change but simply removes an
unnecessary mount entry which seems to confuse upstart in some way.

Considering the age and soon-to-be-EOL-ness of 14.04 I recommend moving away
from it on the one hand, or, if absolutely required, use a VM (or at least
an unprivileged container).

Alternatively if you like digging into upstart scripts, you can try
to figure out why it needs to find a read-write mounted /sys mount entry:
Previously the container saw:

    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

Now it only sees

    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

Link: https://github.com/lxc/lxc/issues/2602
Link: https://github.com/lxc/lxc/commit/51a922baf724689ff3a0df938ca8975601c9c815