[PVE-User] adding ceph osd nodes

Alwin Antreich a.antreich at proxmox.com
Thu Jul 18 14:37:24 CEST 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 01:43:32PM +0200, mj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 7/17/19 2:47 PM, Alwin Antreich wrote:
>
> > I like to add, though not explicitly asked. While it is technically
> > possible, the cluster will lose its enterprise support. As Ceph is under
> > support on Proxmox VE nodes too.
>
> Hmm. That is a disappointing consequence of simply adding some storage-only
> nodes, with the sole purpose to increase ceph performance.
>
> > Better split out Ceph to a separate cluster and use the Proxmox VE nodes
> > as clients. To keep the Ceph client and cluster package versions close
> > together, you could use Proxmox VE without subscription for the separate
> > Ceph cluster.
>
> I find it surprising that a setup such as described above *would* be
> supported, and a (in our eyes simpler and more elegant) setup with one or
> two ceph-osd-only nodes is not supprted.
In the above setup, the Proxmox VE cluster is only a Ceph client. That
accesses a Ceph cluster. That the Ceph cluster also consists out of
Proxmox VE boxes, is merely a suggestion.

With the above, the Proxmox VE cluster is under support but the storage
cluster is not. This gives it a clear line. With a distributed storage
like Ceph it would not be clear where support would start or end, as all
nodes are involved in the storage.

I hope this clarifies it a bit.

--
Cheers,