[PVE-User] package version discrepancies between nodes

Adam Weremczuk adamw at matrixscience.com
Thu Mar 21 15:10:02 CET 2019

Hi all,

I have 2 identical servers (hardware, firmware, RAID config) and both
had Proxmox installed from the same 5.2.1 CD.

They don't run much yet and have mainly been used for testing.

/etc/apt looks the same on both and essentially contain:

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stretch main contrib
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib
deb http://security.debian.org stretch/updates main contrib
deb http://hwraid.le-vert.net/debian stretch main

After running apt-get update / upgrade and rebooting I've noticed some
discrepancies.

dpkg -l produces:

libpve-access-control: 5.1-3 vs 5.0-8
libpve-common-perl: 5.0-40 vs 5.0-31
libpve-guest-common-perl: 2.0-18 vs 2.0-16
pve-manager: 5.2-10 vs 5.2-1
qemu-server: 5.0-38 vs 5.0-26
zfs-initramfs: 0.7.11-pve1~bpo1 vs 0.7.8-pve1~bpo9
zfsutils-linux: 0.7.11-pve1~bpo1 vs 0.7.8-pve1~bpo9

libpve-storage-perl: 5.0-23 (both)
pve-container: 2.0-23 (both)
pve-kernel-4.15: 5.2-1 (both)
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.8-3 (both)
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.11.1-5 (both)

All above packages are kept back by apt on both with the exception of
libpve-access-control which is only kept back on the second, more
outdated server.

The remaining 620+ installed packages look identical.

Aptitude was not installed so I haven't run any checks with it.

Questions:

1. Where do these discrepancies come from?
2. Is it safe to force upgrade them for the sake of keeping Proxmox
nodes in sync? What's the best way to do it?

Regards,
Adam