[PVE-User] UEFI - Proxmox

arjenvanweelden at gmail.com arjenvanweelden at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 13:30:16 CET 2019

On Mon, 2019-03-25 at 13:20 +0100, lord_Niedzwiedz wrote:
> > > A heave only UEFI bios in serwer.
> > >
> > > How I make start Proxmox ?
> > >
> > > I install it, but Proxmox not start  ;-/
> > >
> > > Any ideas ?
> >
> > I am using UEFI with newer servers. It works without problem. For
> > example, I have the boot/efi partition :
> > # cat /etc/fstab
> > /dev/pve/root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
> > UUID=CF7B-601B /boot/efi vfat defaults 0 1
> > /dev/pve/swap none swap sw 0 0
> > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> >
> > With usual servers (I have Dell ones), you have the choice in the
> > BIOS
> > between lagacy BIOS or UEFI. Just choose UEFI, then boot with the
> > last
> > proxmox ve iso. If you don't have the choice, only UEEFI, just
> > boot
> > the iso and proceed with the installation, which is largely
> > automated.
> >
> > Alain
>
> When I install Proxmox i heave partition like this:
> Device                     Start    End                   Sectors
>
>          Size         Type
> /dev/nvme0n1p1       34      2047              2014 1007K        BIOS
> - boot
> /dev/nvme0n1p2     2048   1050623         1048576            512M
>
> System EFI
> /dev/nvme0n1p3  1050624 976773134     975722511       465,3G Linux
> LVM
>
> But the system does not start

You are using UEFI with LVM (not ZFS), which should work fine.

I remember something about PVE kernel not being able to boot from all
NVME drives. When searching for NVME and Proxmox on the forum, I looks
like adding a rootdelay to the kernel parameters might help. Or
sometimes adding the right modules to the initramfs.
I do not know how to check this for your system.

hope this helps, Arjen