[PVE-User] Bug report: Syntax error in /etc/aliases

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 09:18:09 CEST 2019

Hi all,

on a freshly installed PVE 6 my /etc/aliases looks like:

# cat /etc/aliases
postmaster: root
nobody: root
hostmaster: root
webmaster: root
www:root

and I get this output from mailq

# mailq
-Queue ID-  --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
2F38327892     5452 Fri Aug 30 23:25:46  MAILER-DAEMON
                                                  (alias database unavailable)
                                         root at px-golf.localdomain

30E0F27893     5548 Fri Aug 30 23:25:46  MAILER-DAEMON
                                                  (alias database unavailable)
                                         root at px-golf.localdomain

If I change the last line in the aliases file to "www: root" (with a space as the format requires as the man page says), recreate
the alias database and flush the mail queues, everything looks fine.

# sed -i -e 's,www:root,www: root,g' /etc/aliases
# newaliases
# postqueue -f
# mailq
Mail queue is empty

Looks like the package that adds the www entry makes an error.

Regards,

	Uwe