[PVE-User] Empty virtual disk

Joe Garvey jamacdon at hwy97.com
Sun Sep 15 22:55:00 CEST 2019

Hello all,

I had to reboot a QEMU based VM yesterday and after rebooting it reported there was no boot disk. The disk has lost all content in the hard drive. There aren't even any partition. I booted the VM with acronis disk recovery and it showed the disk as uninitialized.

I restored a 6 day old VM and it also had an empty drive. All backups have no data in the drive and are marked as uninitialized.

I tested restoring other VM's in my environment and they have no issues with the disks.

The only difference I see is that the drives are smaller.

The VM in question has been running flawlessly since it was deployed over 30 days ago.

Proxmox version: 5.4-2
SCSI controller: VirtIO SCSI
Disk Size: 200G
Caching is Disabled
Storage: Dell NAS server via iSCSI 4x10GB connections (never had a problem with this)

I'm guessing the data is gone but a ny ideas what has caused this?

Regards,
Joe