[PVE-User] AMD ZEN 2 (EPYC 7002 aka "rome") kernel requirements

Mark Adams mark at openvs.co.uk
Fri Sep 27 10:30:28 CEST 2019

Hi All,

I'm trying out one of these new processors, and it looks like I need at
least 5.2 kernel to get some support, preferably 5.3.

At present the machine will boot in to proxmox, but IOMMU does not work,
and I can see ECC memory is not working.

So my question is, whats the recommended way to get a newer kernel than is
provided by the pve-kernel package? I understand that pve-kernel uses the
newer ubuntu kernel rather than the debian buster one, but are you building
anything else in to it? Will proxmox work ok if I install the ubuntu 5.3
kernel?

Cheers,
Mark