[PVE-User] offline VM migration node1->node2 with local storage

Roland @web.de devzero at web.de
Sun Feb 16 11:53:50 CET 2020

for my curiousity, in a cluster i can have "rpool" on both nodes (both
are local to each node, i.e. are different pools but with same name) and
i can blazingly fast offline migrate VMs from rpool on node1 to rpool on
node2 (as it's done via zfs snapshot).

but i cannot add a second pool "hddpool" on different disks on both
nodes with gui, as i get error "storage ID 'hddpool' already defined
(500)" if i want to add 2nd zfs pool to node2 with the same name.

what i can do is adding pool via commandline on node2 and then remove
"nodes node1" from strorage.cfg (manual edit) to make it analogous to
rpool - i can use hddpool like rpool after that.

i wonder if this is the proper "way to go"!?

anybody running proxmox cluster without shared storage as larger scale?

what i try is developing a concept for running a maintainable vm
infrastructure without need for HA shared storage&networking (as we have
vm live migration including disks and on server defect, i simply could
pull all disks out and put into a spare machine of same type)

regards
Roland