[PVE-User] PVE storage layout question.

proxmox-user at mattern.org proxmox-user at mattern.org
Thu Feb 20 21:22:16 CET 2020

Hi,

Am 20.02.20 um 17:54 schrieb Leandro Roggerone:
> Hi guys.
> I have a very old proxmox version (4.X).
> There I have only one partition where I store both vms and isos images.
> Now, I installed pve last version.
Did you reinstall your server? You can update. It's really easy - see
the wiki.
> After install default process finished I can see two partitions created.
> (LVM and  LVM-thin)
The main difference (on a single server) between LVM and LVM-thin in
proxmox is that you can't use snapshots with "normal" LVM volumes. You
have to use LVM-Thin.
> After reading in storage documentation , it is not clear for me what the
> difference is between them.
> Can I use only one partition (like in my old proxmox ver4) ?
Proxmox uses LVM is a blocklevel storage. You can't use is for files
directly (https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html). So you
need another partition/LVM Volume with a filesystem for your ISOs. LVM
is really flexible. You can create a logical volume with a filesystem
with the shell and mount it to use it for ISOs, Backup or whatever.
> Any advice regarding storage layout good practice would be appreciated.
Depends on your usage. If possible do some fio tests with different RAID
levels, stripe sizes, cache settings...