[PVE-User] osd replacement to bluestore or filestore

mj lists at merit.unu.edu
Sat Feb 29 12:21:05 CET 2020

Hi,

We have a failing filestore OSD HDD in our pve 5.4 cluster on ceph 12.2.13.

I have ordered a replacement SSD, but we have the following doubt:

Should we now replace the filestore HDD (journal on an SSD) with a
bluestore SSD? Or should we keep the new SSD in filestore config, in
order to minimise the time we run in 'mixed mode'.

We have the intention to replace all filestore HDD OSDs with bluestore
SSDs, but not short term, starting in half year or so.

So the question is really: can we run mixed bluestore/filestore ceph
cluster for an extended period of time? Anything particular to consider?

MJ