[PVE-User] PVE Cluster: New authentication is required to access each node from GUI

Frank Thommen f.thommen at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Sat Jan 25 16:44:10 CET 2020

Dear all,

I have installed a 3-node PVE cluster as instructed on
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvecm.html (usung commandline).
  When I now connect via GUI to one node and select one of the other
nodes, I get a "401" error message and then I am asked to authenticate
to the other node.  So to see all nodes from all other nodes via GUI I
would have to authenticate nine times.  I don't think that is as it
should be ;-). I would assume that once I am logged in on the GUI of one
of the cluster nodes, I can look at the other two nodes w/o additional
authentication from this GUI.

The situation is somehow similar to the one described on
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/3-node-cluster-permission-denied-invalid-pve-ticket-401.56038/,
but the suggested "pvecm updatecerts" (run on each node) only helped for
a short time.  After a reboot of the nodes I am back to the potential
nine authentications.

My three nodes are connected through a full 10GE mesh
(https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Full_Mesh_Network_for_Ceph_Server) using
broadcast bonds.  This mesh will finally also be used for Ceph.  I
configured this mesh to be the cluster network (--link0).  As fallback
(--link1) I used the regular LAN.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong and how this could be
fixed?  Could the mesh with the broadcast bonds be the problem?  If yes,
should I use an other type of mesh?  Unfortunately a full dedicated
PVE-only network with a switch is not an option.  I can either use a
mesh or the regular LAN in the datacenter.

The systems are running PVE 6.1-3.

Any help or hint is appreciated.

Cheers
frank