[PVE-User] External Ceph cluster for PVE6.1-5

Mark Schouten mark at tuxis.nl
Wed Jan 29 13:45:51 CET 2020

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 09:23:53AM +0100, Alwin Antreich wrote:
> > We just upgraded one of our clusters to PVE 6.1-5. It's not hyperconverged, so Ceph is running on an external cluster. That cluster runs Luminous, and we installed the Nautilus client on the proxmox-cluster. I can't find any documentation if this is supported or not.
> The stock Ceph version on PVE 6 is Luminous. ;)

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Proxmox_VE_6.1 and the installed
packages suggest otherwise:

root at proxmox2-1:~# dpkg -l | grep ceph
ii  ceph-common                          14.2.6-pve1

> > Is it OK to have a Nautilus client on Proxmox for an external Luminous cluster, or will that break stuff?
> Yes, the client should work one LTS version apart.
> Luminous <- Nautilus -> Octopus.

I know Ceph does that. But I did have lost data in a PVE4 to PVE5
upgrade where Ceph was not yet upgraded and images got shrunk because
Ceph Hammer behaved differently from Ceph Luminous. I am wondering if
that is the case here too.

--
Mark Schouten     | Tuxis B.V.
KvK: 74698818     | http://www.tuxis.nl/