[PVE-User] qcow2 vs raw format

Stefan Reiter s.reiter at proxmox.com
Mon Mar 9 14:55:52 CET 2020

On 3/9/20 2:37 PM, Laurent Dumont wrote:
> I'm not sure if this still stands but you cannot do snapshots on a raw
> format, only qcow2.

Correct, but note that this only applies to file-based raw storage, a
"raw" volume on lvm-thin, ZFS, etc. does of course support snapshots.

On file-based storages, qcow2 does indeed give you the benefit of
snapshots over raw images, but comes with a slight overhead - usually
negligible IMHO and from my experience, but that's something you should
test yourself with your own workload if you need it.

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 9:35 AM Leandro Roggerone <leandro at tecnetmza.com.ar>
> wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason to use qcow2 format ?
>> Im asking because I received qcow2 disk from an old system and need to
>> upload into my new pve.

FYI: You can use 'qm importdisk' to attach existing disk images to a VM.
This also allows to import qcow2 images to storages not supporting qcow2
as a format, e.g. LVM, ZFS, ...