[pve-devel] some news for snapshots

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Mon Aug 27 15:08:43 CEST 2012

>>Sorry, but we simply need to restore full state. Users expect that (this is well known
>>behavior on other products).
I don't think if it's possible with storage other than qcow2 (rbd,sheepdog,nexenta or external san).

also external snapshots are only disk snapshot without the vmstate.

I see in vmware doc:
http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc_50%2FGUID-878C36BA-6922-4269-8803-7FC419B947B7.html
that memory snapshot is optionnal

"
Procedure
1
Select Inventory > Virtual Machine > Snapshot > Take Snapshot.
2
Type a name for the snapshot.
3
Type a description for the snapshot.
Adding a date and time or a description, for example, "Snapshot before applying XYZ patch," can help you determine which snapshot to restore or delete.
4
(Optional) Select the Snapshot the virtual machine’s memory check box to capture the memory of the virtual machine.
5
(Optional) Select the Quiesce guest file system (Needs VMware Tools installed) check box to pause running processes on the guest operating system so that file system contents are in a known consistent state when you take the snapshot.
6
Click OK
"

and indeed, with memory snapshot, vm is paused too
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1013163

I don't for other hypervisor/solution