[pve-devel] some news for snapshots

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Mon Aug 27 17:14:12 CEST 2012

> >>Sorry, but we simply need to restore full state. Users expect that
> >>(this is well known behavior on other products).
> I don't think if it's possible with storage other than qcow2
> (rbd,sheepdog,nexenta or external san).
>
> also external snapshots are only disk snapshot without the vmstate.

I thought I have read the opposite somewhere - but not sure.

Just found the following comment:  http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Snapshots

internal snapshots

By making the snapshot-file argument of the monitor and QMP command optional, that could be used as a request to make the snapshot internally instead of to an external file. However, without live block migration of an internal snapshot, there is no way to make a backup of an internal snapshot while still leaving the VM running, so this feature is not planned at the present. For now, the snapshot-file argument is required, and only external snapshots are implemented.