[pve-devel] dnsmasqd needs extra ip

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Tue Aug 27 14:20:47 CEST 2013

I current use the following for dnsmasq:

$cmd = "dnsmasq --no-hosts --strict-order --bind-interfaces --interface=$iface --except-interface=lo  --domain=${dhcpd_domain} --dhcp-range=${dhcpd_first},${dhcpd_last},${dhcpd_mask},8h --dhcp-host=$net->{macaddr},$net->{ip} '--dhcp-ignore=tag:!known'";

The problem is that I need to specify an IP for the tap (inside the client network), else dnsmasq complains

dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCP packet received on tap111i0 which has no address

Any ideas how we can avoid allocating an extra IP for the dhcp server? Some users just have
a few IPs, so we do not want to waste any of them?
The problem is the same with your bridge suggestion?