[pve-devel] Serious problems with the PVE Cluster

Eric Blevins eric at netwalk.com
Thu Jan 30 15:47:28 CET 2014

What you describe does not seem like a Proxmox specific problem to me.

You turned off the NFS server without dismounting the volumes from the
nodes.
This causes IO to those NFS volumes to stall.

Proxmox does periodically check the backup directories, so there is
consistent IO to them.

Since that IO cannot complete, it causes processes to hang.
I've even seen Linux not perform IO to local disks when IO to NFS is
stalled for a period of time.
I am sure you can envision the horrible problems this can cause.

Using NFS soft mount might help prevent this problem but that can also
cause corrupted data.

My suggestion to help avoid this is to use a vzdump hook script to mount
the NFS volume only when performing a backup then dismount it at
completion of backup. Better yet, setup HA NFS.