[pve-devel] RFC: qemu-server : add cloudinit support

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Fri Jun 19 09:24:14 CEST 2015

> > Do you think to keep config files in /etc/pve ?  (to avoid need to rsync
> > them ?)
>
> I don't think this is necessary at all, because when the kvm process is
> started on the receiving end it goes through the same startup routines
> and should thus be creating its own cloud-init config files. So they can
> be kept in a /tmp folder.

I guess this works well with all setting we store inside the VM config (if
we correctly use pending section).

But what if we allow to reference external sources for cloudinit data?

For example, I can imagine something like:

cloudinit: template=my-cloud-init-data

which simply includes files found in /etc/pve/cloud-init/my-cloud-init-data/

That data can change, so it would be safer to generate an iso, and use rsync
to copy that image when we migrate the VM?