[pve-devel] [RFC manager] add Default Button to lxc and qemu options

Emmanuel Kasper e.kasper at proxmox.com
Mon Jun 6 10:31:46 CEST 2016

On 06/02/2016 03:38 PM, Dominik Csapak wrote:
>> this patch adds an "Default" button to the lxc and
>> qemu options
>>
>> clicking on this simply deletes the selected key from the config
>> the purpose of this is for instance if you want to reset the hotplug
>> selection but you don't know what is default
>>
>> with this it would be possible to remove the default values from the
>> comboboxes (and thus eliminating duplicate entries there)
>>
>> this includes a blacklist for lxc and qemu which contains,
>> the values which should probably not be deleted (name and smbios for
>> qemu,
>> ostype and arch for lxc)
>>

> any comment?
> i believe this feature would reduce confusion for many, since we
> have no simple way in the gui to "reset" an option to its default
> (and not every option has a default option to choose from)

Hi
Removing the default entries from the combo list is rather a good idea,
because they are difficult to visually parse

for instance the output of the Qemu Combobox for selecting the BIOS is:

Default (SeaBIOS)
SeaBIOS
OVMF (UEFI)

in the first line the parentheses contains a pointer to another list entry
in the third line the parenthese contains an explaination of the current
list entry

So moving this reset parameter out of the combobox makes sense
however if we do this I am not sure it should belong to the Options
panel, because
it is not 100% clear what it is the scope of a 'default' button on top
of a grid. Will it reset the entire grid ? The selected item ?

Since here we are at the risk of reverting user submitted changes IMHO
it might be safer to have the reset button in the modal edit window
(Edit.js) of the option
where the scope of a 'Default' is clearer ?