[pve-devel] [RFC container 1/2] fix #1147: allow marking non-volume mps as shared

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Tue Oct 11 08:24:24 CEST 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 07:11:45AM +0200, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> > On October 10, 2016 at 1:04 PM Fabian Grünbichler <f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > this introduces two new options for non-volume mount points,
> > modeled after the way we define 'shared' storages:
> > - boolean flag 'shared': marks a mount point as available on
> >   other nodes (default: false)
> > - pve-node-list 'nodes': limits the 'shared' parameter to
> >   specific nodes (default: no limit / all nodes)
>
> Is it really worth to add a node list for each mount point? I wonder
> if we can have a node list per guest instead?

Would also be an option - less fine grained, but also less clutter and
less work to set up. I'll wait or some more feed back (also regarding
the naming) and then send a v2, unless a better option comes up.

In the long term, it would IMHO make sense to move to a different way of
configuring bind mount points altogether - set them up as a (special?)
storage that contains a whitelist of source paths and mapping to nodes
(only possible as root) and then allow regular users to configure them
in the GUI. It might also be nice to implement some kind of "shared
folders" feature for the VMs along with that (could reuse the "storage"
definition) - but that's a different can of worms.