[pve-devel] proxmox 2018 : add support for "virtual" network and network plugins ?

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Sat Dec 30 16:15:29 CET 2017

Hi everybody,

First, merry X-mas and happy new year to all proxmox team.
(You have made a great job in 2017, a lot of polish and cleanup to current proxmox code !).

I looking for 2018, to add support for network plugins (like for storage), and "virtual networks".

By virtual network, I mean, to be able to define new kind of sdn networks or abstract of "vmbr+vlan"
for exapple

"customerA network"  -> which could be "vmbrX + vlan"
"customerB network"  -> which could be "ovs vmbrX + vxlan"
"customerC network"  -> which could be "ovs+dpdk"
"customerD network"  -> which could be "another kind of network (opencontrail vrouter, vpp, snabswitch, midonet ..."

also be able to defined network range, that user could use by network.

and a Custom Plugin directory , like for storage, where users could defined they own plugins.

Something like /etc/pve/networks.cfg (like storage.cfg, with network-plugins-options)

What do you think about it ?

Regards,

Alexandre