[pve-devel] proxmox 2018 : add support for "virtual" network and network plugins ?

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Mon Jan 29 11:46:36 CET 2018

Hi,

>>I would avoid the floating-ip/nat 1:1 stuff as the plague.

>>We also did some research on the same thing your trying to do I think.
>>Since your are also working with cumulus (IIRC you referred to it).

>>We didn't implement it, but if you are interested, we could sync
>>and see if we can help each other. I looks as a pretty good way to go
>>forward.

yes, we can avoid it.
The trick is if we manage public ip in a vxlan in the vm, we need to connect it
to the real world / router network.

It's not difficult if we can do bgp to the router. but I think Dietmar want something
for user with a simple router/default gw. (so with some proxy-arp trick).

nat 1:1/floating ip , is just doing the trick because it's doing the translation between "virtual" vxlan
and physical "public" network.

>>*for public ipv4 ip space:*
>>
>>Use bgp on the pve hosts and use redistribute neighbor.
>>https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/display/DOCS/Redistribute+Neighbor
>>https://cumulusnetworks.com/blog/introducing-rdnbr/

>>*for private networks:*

>>the bgp evpn stuff seems the most easy to do and from what I understand
>>what you are working on as well.
>>https://vincent.bernat.im/en/blog/2017-vxlan-bgp-evpn
>>
>>I would expect that to just work.

yes, bgp-evpn works out of the box :) I have send on this mailing at the begining of this thread
a sample quagga/frr config, around 10 lines of configuration.
with anycast gateway on all proxmox nodes.
It's really easy to deploy "private / only proxmox network" vxlan. All nodes peers together and exchange route/mac location.

As i said, the tricky part is to connect a proxmox vxlan to outside world. (but if your router can do bgp, you simply need to peer with them,
and vxlan network will be announce to physical network)

>>From the mail discussion there
>>still seems to be some issue. What is the core issue? its unclear to me
>>from the discussion.

No special issue ;)  I think they are a lot of possible network design (maybe some user want nat1:1, other users want public on vm directly,...).
I think We need to focus on a model first, and try to extend later.

ebgp-vpn is really sexy, it's really possible to have a ditributed control plane with no central spof/gateway.

I'll try to make a poc with external routers + proxmox cluster,full bgp, and send full config on the mailing.