[pve-devel] Please help: beginner trying to compile Proxmox kernel 4.15

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Thu Sep 13 13:13:33 CEST 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 04:08:03PM +0700, The Anh Tran wrote:
> Dear Teams,
>
> I've followed Fabian's instruction, and build process is success.

that's a good start ;)

> It turns out that: submodules/ubuntu-bionic downloading by build script, is
> different than git clone
> git://git.proxmox.com/git/mirror_ubuntu-bionic-kernel.git

no it's not, modulo some different tracking in .git under the hood.

> Minor suggestion: please update this tutorial
> https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/tutorial-compile-proxmox-ve-5-with-patched-intel-iommu-driver-to-remove-rmrr-check.36374/
>
> I'm testing my modification on this source.

that tutorial is not written by us ;) but it also does not at any point
say to copy separately cloned git repositories into sub directories of
the local clone of pve-kernel.git . the purpose of cloning the ubuntu
bionic mirror into a separate checkout is to have a clear separation for
working on your changes - you just need to put the final patch into your
copy of pve-kernel.git, not manually copy the whole modified kernel
sources.

I suggest we follow up in the forum thread instead of here on pve-devel.