[pve-devel] Bug in Promox's OVMF implementation - resolution is garbled on MacOS, unless you reset machine on each boot?

Dominik Csapak d.csapak at proxmox.com
Wed Jan 8 11:01:15 CET 2020

On 1/8/20 6:55 AM, Victor Hooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using Proxmox to run MacOS VMs, as per Nichola's guide here:
>
> https://www.nicksherlock.com/2019/10/installing-macos-catalina-10-15-on-proxmox-6/
>
> (and earlier versions).
>
> In one of the steps in the guide - you need to go into the OMVF BIOS
> settings, and set the resolution:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/a5MeswK.png
>
> then reset the machine after:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/YiiiAQl.png
>
> If you do not do this - the display will be garbled:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/bs3zMkB.png
>
> However, this setting does not appear to be preserved. Every time you boot
> up the VM, you need to go back into the menu, and hit Reset again.

do you have an efidisk? if not, this setting cannot be saved...
the following steps work here:
* create vm with ovmf and efidisk
* boot
* change the ovmf resolution
* continue to boot into os
* poweroff
* start vm again (has the correct selected resolution)

> I spoke to Nicholas, and he belieevs it to be a bug in OMVF, or rather in
> Proxmox's implementation of OMVF:

there is no "proxmox's implementation of ovmf"
our package simply compiles the upstream version and changes the logo

aside from that, the instruction mentions a patched version of
ovmf, so you do not even use our package?

also, using a recent ubuntu live cd (19.10) i cannot reproduce that
since the live cd changes the resolution correctly and
you can select many resolutions there (working)

so i rather believe that this is a limitation/bug of macos's interaction
with the graphics hardware/uefi (since afair, macs have their own
efi implementation)

kind regards
dominik