[PVE-User] PVE + software raid - boot process

Gregor Perner gregor at perners.at
Fri Nov 7 17:10:00 CET 2008

Hi List!

As a Disclaimer: I don't want to distract the Proxmox-Team from their
goals, I want to modify the project for my needs myself.
The main questions are in the last paragraph, if it's too much to read ;)

I just realized that the Debian-Task-Package was removed from the
Roadmap entirely on 2008-10-06. May I ask if you dropped that forever,
or if it just didn't make it to the new Roadmap?

Since in the stock-pve-kernel the raid-modules are available, it is
possible after an install to install mdadm and create some
software-raids. However, this is not my goal.

As mentioned in previous posts, I want to boot with a _slightly_
modified pve-initrd (including mdadm) from sw-raid.

Here's what I did so far to compile the package:

I decided to build directly on a PVE-1.0-install, since this is the
system I build it for.

The README doesn't mention the following packages, I found to be mandatory.
# aptitude install build-essential git-core autotools-dev debhelper
fakeroot

'make' then pulls the repositories and compiles the kernel - which
works. The kernel-package now is a bit monolithic, so I'm stuck at
building kvm-75, though this isn't necessary for my needs (build.log
available on http://www.perners.at/gregor/build.log)
My main problem is, that it aborts without a 'data'-directory which
obviously holds the necessary files.

What I don't want to end up is debugging a build-environment. So it
would be helpful to get some hints if I am completely mistaken or where
to investigate further why 'data' is not there (./create-initrd-dir
needs it).
Also some information about the environment where the official-releases
are built are useful.

Best Regards,
gregor