[PVE-User] PVE + software raid - boot process

Dietmar Maurer dietmar at proxmox.com
Tue Nov 11 19:19:24 CET 2008

> >> The README doesn't mention the following packages, I found to be
> >> mandatory. [...]
> > Ok, added to the README - thanks.
>
> Are the *-latest sources available, or did you mean you changed it
> internally?

I only changed the readme - so I did not upload it again (makes no sense).

> >> 'make' then pulls the repositories and compiles the kernel - which
> >> works. The kernel-package now is a bit monolithic, so I'm stuck at
> >> building kvm-75, though this isn't necessary for my needs (build.log
> >> available on http://www.perners.at/gregor/build.log)
> >
> > Why do you build it if you don't need it? This is a Makefile, so you
> > can specify the target.
>
> Of course I can specify the target. But I don't get why
> 'make initrd.img-2.6.24-1-pve'
> fails exactly at the posted kvm-75 error-message. I don't see any point
> in building kvm-75 if the target is the initrd... That I meant with
> "monolithic".

we include the kvm module in the kernel package. IMO this makes sense.

> A side note: IMO there should be stable make-targets without
> version-numbers.
>
> > Please debug the Makefile - I can't do it because it works here.
>
> I suspect we don't talk aboout the same source-package/Makefile

why?

> # md5sum pve-kernel-2.6.24_2008-10-29/Makefile
> pve-kernel-2.6.24_2008-10-29.tar.gz
> 9c4cfe085ebecd58945a8d96e4c9faea  pve-kernel-2.6.24_2008-10-29/Makefile
> 3208908b71c0715c718e37e3ba4a9214  pve-kernel-2.6.24_2008-10-29.tar.gz
>
> The second option is that the environment is not complete. See below.
>
> >> Also some information about the environment where the
> > official-releases
> >> are built are useful.
> >
> > What do you want to know?
>
> I suspect you build on Debian:

yes (same release/packages used for pve)

> uname -a
> dpkg -l
> cat /etc/cpuinfo

How does that help?

> If not, please post an aequivalent of dpkg -l for $distribution you are
> using.

I don't want to post my dpkg -l (does not help anyways).

> IMO it would be target-aimed if you would support building on the
> stable-release with the latest published source-package.

The latest source is available, so I do not understand your suggestion. If something
does not work we(you) need to debug it.

- Dietmar